According to UNICEF, 40% of Bangladesh’s population is children and statistics indicate that 600,000 are out of school. To contribute to increased enrolment, we have forged partnerships in Bangladesh and are currently working on four project programs that extend over a period of 1 – 6 years. Upon completion our projects will contribute to the enrollment of all slums children’s.
To create an enabling environment for the poor community women, boys and young girls for increasing access to various public services for a better living. Providing preprimary education children in the Mirpur slums opportunities to learn in a safe environment. The project aims to prepare the children for the transition from home to school-based learning, and provide a positive first learning experience.
Lack of Education is the root cause of the instability, poor sanitization, poor living condition at the Slums and Camps. Children’s are growing up without any opportunity of life. Generation after generation living in destitute poverty because of lack opportunity and education.
ECCE is very important for child’s overall growth. During this age group 4-6 years’ memory and vocabulary skills can be enhanced, when children are eager to learn. As per the GOB goal, “Education for All”, the other language speaking children need to be supported and introduced with Bangla alphabets/language which will help them to be worthy citizen and join regular school later. Recent survey has revealed that there is persisting nutritional problems among the poor children in the slums, supporting education for children will be an add on to solve nutritional problems and an incentive as well, for the poor parents to send their children to learning centers instead of any menial work or play.
- Capacity building training for young girls on Skill training, Gender equality and primary health care
- To create an enabling environment by organizing and facilitating an empowerment process through education, awareness and increase access to information,
- To provide life skills training to women and adolescent girls to strengthen their participation in development activities and decision making capacities
- To create network of women and adolescent groups to form bigger solidarity forum
- To establish linkages and partnership with local government and other service providers for increase access to social services
- To document the good practices and lessons learned for policy advocacy at national level through dissemination and advocacy campaign
- A pro-active sustained groups of women and girls developed to take independent decision for improved life and livelihood
- Rights of the urban slum dwellers and rural poor communities especially women and young girls established for their reproductive health and gender equality.
- An effective linkage established with local government bodies and other service providers with mutual accountability and good governance
- A mechanism of community based social protection developed to enhance all forms of violence against women and young girls.
- To encourage preschool children for Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) activity for learning
- To enhance the Bangla (alphabet and numeric) literacy skills amongst poor children.
- Children to be brought to the level of mainstream primary school or develop life skills for better living.
- Provide nutritional support to children attending the center.
Long-Term Impact and Outcomes
As per the felt need of the camp population PDAP took earlier initiative as well as would like to take further initiative to start education program for the children living in the area. Which will be comprised of Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE), learning skills in Bangla Alphabets and promote education for the poor children.
The following resources will be arranged for the ECCE program:
- Curriculum content and Teacher’s guidebook
- Set of toys/ blocks for play and development of fine/gross motor skills
- Children’s activity books/exercise khata and pencils
- Chalk, duster and slates
- Alphabet chart/ alphabet blocks
- Bangla primer
- Number chart, Maths primer and 0-20 number blocks
- Picture book providing new and known environmental objects
- Story and pictorial books and story cards
- Health and environment charts
- Word, number and memory games
- Audiovisual materials
95% of the children, in accordance with the Preprimary Education, will be able to:
- Say their own name, name of parents, address of family and own date of birth
- Say names and function of different parts of the body
- Follow social practices – say greetings, respect elders, giving thanks, ask
- permission and engage in appropriate social interaction with relatives/friends
- Recite children’s rhymes, sing children’s songs, national anthem and tell stories
- Draw and name circle, triangle, rectangle
- Recognize and tell the names and functions of natural objects around them e.g., flower, fruit, fish, bird, animal, sun, moon, tree, transport, weather, land and water,
- Show creativity by making objects, toys/ play materials by self-choice using block, clay, leaf, paper, sticks etc.,
- Count, recognize, read and write numbers from 0-100
- Recognize, read and write Bangla letters,
- Read and write words composed of two Bangla letters, Describe events from picture,
- Have an expressive vocabulary of words presented in Class 1 reader
Budget (including matching funds “soft/hard”)
Purpose and Description of Needs Requested Amount Soft & Hard Funds
by UDiON Comments
& Notes $11500.00 $15500.00 $21595.00 $4500.00 $55095.00
Additional Information and Resources:
Report by UNICEF: http://www.unicef.org/bangladesh/media_8276.htm
Poverty Report by World Bank: http://blogs.worldbank.org/endpovertyinsouthasia/urbanization-and-its-discontents-educating-dhaka-s-slum-children
Education in Bangladesh Slums by Borgen Magazine: http://www.borgenmagazine.com/education-bangladesh-slums/
Report by ScriBD, Education in Slum Children of Dhaka City: http://www.scribd.com/doc/54924173/Education-in-Slum-Children-of-Dhaka-City#scribd
Pictures of existing School and children’s:
Complete Concept note and detailed budget avilable upon request. Thank You!